Here is a collection of resources on various aspects of raising Dexter cattle. Some links are to articles by various experts or Dexter breeders whom we respect. Other links are to posts in this blog. The topics are alphabetized.
American Dexter Cattle Association
Buying a Family Cow
PHA (Pulmonary Hypoplasia with Anasarca)
American Dexter Cattle Association
- Website home page
- ADCA Code of Ethics, posted verbatim on this blog.
- Link to ADCA Code of Ethics, page 11 of the SOP on the website.
- Dr. Thomas Cowan, author of the foreword to The Devil in the Milk on A1 and A2 milk.
- Professor Keith Woodford, author of The Devil in the Milk, blog posts on A1 and A2 milk.
- Dr. Jeffrey Newswanger, D.O. and co-owner of Hope Refuge Farm, reviewing the A2 issue for Dexter owners.
- Kim Newswanger, Dexter breeder and co-owner of Hope Refuge Farm, on A2 testing.
- "The Devil in the Milk" from this blog.
- Article on fat color in grass-fed animals
- Family Milk Cow 101 Chapter 1, by Kim Newswanger, co-owner of Hope Refuge Farm.
- Family Milk Cow 101 Chapter 2, by Kim Newswanger.
- Family Milk Cow 101 Chapter 3, by Kim Newswanger.
- Family Milk Cow 102, by Kim Newswanger.
- Family Milk Cow 102 Chapter 2, by Kim Newswanger.
- Family Milk Cow 102 Chapter 3, by Kim Newswanger.
- In defense of the family cow. Article from the Maine Organic Farmers and Gardeners Association, by Joann S. Grohman, author of Keeping a Family Cow.
- Gabriella Nanci, Dexter breeder and owner of Belle Fourche Farm, explains the difference between "short-legged" and "long-legged" Dexters.
- Another article from Gabriella Nanci with information on both chondro and PHA.
- American Dexter Cattle Association article on chondrodysplasia.
- Newinn Dexter Stud, Queensland, Australia, article on problems associated with chondrodysplasia.
- Calfology.com article on "Dwarfism (Chondrodysplasia)" in various cattle breeds.
- American Dexter Cattle Association article on color genetics.
- American Dexter Cattle Association article on color probability, by John Potter, long-time Dexter breeder.
- Canadian Dexter Cattle Association article on color genetics, by Dr. Sheila Schmutz.
- A collection of various tidbits from the files of Carol Davidson, much information on dun genetics as well as other subjects. This information was posted to the Irish Dexter Cattle ProBoard site in August 2013.
- Genetics of Pale or Dilute Coat Colors in Cattle, by Dr. Sheila Schmutz.
- Judging Dairy Cattle article from University of Minnesota.
- ADCA Classification Program Final Draft.
- Dairy Cow Conformation with notes from Spirited Rose Homestead Dairy Farm.
- Judging 101 Livestock Judging Quiz for beef cattle (quizzes 1-5) with answer key.
- Irish Dexter Cattle ProBoards discussion forum is well-organized with easy-to-find subject headings on almost any topic you could wish. Be warned--it's addictive!
- Keeping a Family Cow ProBoards discussion forum is a helpful site for various subjects, including a 911 section for help with emergencies. A few members milk Dexters, although the majority milk other breeds.
- Cow-pie-ology, what you can learn from your cow's poop.
- Calfology.com's "Interactive Cow" page.
- "Rena's Drench" for supporting a stressed or down cow.
- Feeding hay to a lactating cow, thread on Keeping a Family Cow.
- Rule of thumb for grain/gallon of milk, thread on Keeping a Family Cow.
Loss of an Animal, the Hard Part of Farming
- Keeping a Family Cow ProBoards discussion with encouragement from experienced farmers who still care and still cry when they lose an animal.
- Ready, Set, Milk!, by Kim Newswanger.
- What's the Big Hold Up? or dealing with a cow that won't let down her milk, by Kim Newswanger.
- A Big Let-Down, the sequel to the previous post by Kim Newswanger.
- Cheese Making, by Kim Newswanger.
- "Got (Dexter) Milk? . . . YES!!!" from this blog on my first milking experience.
- "No Crying Over Spilled Milk" from this blog on one of my early milking experiences.
- A milking video from this blog.
- Detailed plans for our homemade Dexter milking stanchion from this blog.
- Keeping a Family Cow ProBoards discussion forum is a helpful site for help with problems.
- "Prepare an Udder Like a Pro" video.
- How to add a kick-stop board to a stanchion.
- Somatic Cell Count (SCC) explained by Spirited Rose Homestead Dairy Farm blog.
- "Rotational Pasturing" from Spirited Rose Homestead Dairy Farm blog.
- Gabriella Nanci, Dexter breeder and owner of Belle Fourche Farm, explains PHA and chondrodysplasia.
- American Dexter Cattle Association article on PHA.
- Gabriella Nanci, Dexter breeder and owner of Belle Fourche Farm, explains the polled gene.
- Tables for likelihood of inheritance of polledness, horns and scurs.
Recipes for Dexter Beef and Milk
Registration and Genetic Testing
- How to Register Your Dexter, a step-by-step tutorial with photos.
- How to Order Genetic Testing for Your Dexter at Texas A&M, a step-by-step tutorial with photos.
- How to Do Genetic Testing for Your Dexter at UCDavis Lab, a step-by-step tutorial with photos.
- How to Photograph Your Dexter and resize the photos to include on your animal's ADCA registration page. A list of tips with how-to and how-not-to photos.
- The Art of Tattooing a Calf, a step-by-step illustrated explanation from Kim Newswanger.
- "Treatlisa" shares her training techniques for her new Jersey cow on Keeping a Family Cow.
- BBC - Countryfile "visits a Dexter herd being grazed in the mountains of Kerry and sees how it is supporting a local artisan food buisness, The Dingle Dexter Beef Company."
- Photos of Saltaire Platinum, Cornahir Outlaw, Lucifer of Knotting and Circle H's Frederick. These bulls are found in the pedigrees of some of our breeding stock.
- Photo of Llanfair's Cinnabar (sire of Mrald Crown Royal, our herd sire).
- Bio of Mrald Electra (Royal's dam), the sixth cow down.
- Dairy stats of Mrald Electra (Royal's dam).
- Photo of Riverhill Saturn's Galaxy (maternal grandsire of Mrald Crown Royal).
- Article by Carol Davidson with photos of Saturn of Knotting, Riverhill Saturn's Galaxy and Saltaire Platinum.
- "Our Breeding Philosophy & Our Herd" on this blog has photos of Hillview Red Wing (sire of ZH Zephryhill Siobhan) and FF Lil' Christmas Cash (bred to Siobhan twice).
- Photo of Belle Fourche Rousseau (sire of NewHope Ebony Belle).
- Excellent write-up on Belle Fourche Rousseau (Ebony's sire).